02 August 2008

Red & Blue, Red & Blue

Happy Cup Match All!

I've spent most of the weekend under the weather, but have been enjoying Cup Match anyway. I woke up particularly grumpy on Wednesday morning, but thanks to the holiday and a few well-chosen Soca and Reggae tunes on the radio for the drive in, I was smiling and bopping in the car by the time I reached Johnny Barnes. It's hard to be in a bad mood with the big holiday in sight and great riddims on the radio.

Cup Match has something for everybody, ranging from the gentle murmur of the cricket on the radio, to the heat and action of the game -- two very different ways of enjoying the festivities. Personally, I like to split my time between the beach, the game, Crown & Anchor, and a big serving of fish! This year I just about managed to to cover my game expenses from my time under the Crown and Anchor tent, but I watched a lot of big spenders financing the tables...

I was disappointed to get another draw, especially as I was looking for a Somerset win. As the radio announcers remarked, it wasn't bad cricket, given the rules of the Cup Match game, but it may not be what a lot of the spectators are hoping to see. Personally, I would support either a limited overs game, or adding a third day.

I hope you enjoy what remains of the weekend!

No comments: