11 August 2008

Murder: What I would say if...

The more I think about Kellon Hill's murder (and those earlier this year), the angrier I become.

What can I do? I am just a dude with a laptop. I am not a policeman, a pastor, an MP, etc.

We used to think it was just drug dealers killing each other, but the recent murder victims this year have all been innocents.

If I was a preacher, I would say something like this: brothers & sisters, mother & fathers, it is up to us to solve this problem. If you know who did this, come forward. Do not be afraid, if they threaten you, we will protect you. If they threaten to come after your grandmother, we will protect her too. We will all stand watch outside your house for as long as it takes to make sure you are safe. Because we must not stand for this senseless violence on our tiny island. But we will also not stand for retaliation. We know from history that death is never the answer to death.

If I was a Government leader, I would say something like this: I have spoken with the police, and our country's number one priority in the short term is to find & capture the murderers out there, bring them to justice, and give the the maximum punishment under the law. If that means we have to shift resources from less important projects (golf courses?), we will do it. We will cooperate with the police to make sure they have the resources they need. In the medium term, we will dedicate all required resources to stamp out gang activity on our island. In the long term, we will work with our teachers and educators to improve the futures of our children. We will make sure they have the tools & knowledge to succeed, so that they do not feel the need to turn to violence.

And so forth.

I only wish it was that easy.

No comments: